Thursday, September 13, 2012

How He lived.

I've been contemplating and considering the life of Christ a lot recently. In Radical, David Platt uses Christ's example and teaching to challenge a lot of my American mindset.

I've thought and prayed about various homeless ministries I could be apart of. I want to let the challenges in Radical change and alter my cultural mindset. I've been involved in conversations and debates about homosexuality and abortion...and what it means for the Church to love others and stand for truth like Christ has loved and been Truth Himself. Have we begun to compartmentalize sin? {I hate when others do that to me!} I am so aware of the great extent I think we've failed to be Jesus to the world.

And as a few new faces and I began talking about how to "stand up" for what is right, without preaching moralism or being a hypocrite, or interacting with others through a narrow view of "their sin" that bothers us {does OUR sin bother us?}...

I started thinking about Jesus. I wondered what He'd do. Would He be initiating committees and non-profits? How would He deal with homelessness? Would He protest with a sign at an abortion clinic? How would He care for a gay friend?

I pictured Christ speaking to crowds, and then ministering to the individuals He met along His journeys. The lame, the blind, the woman at the well. I was affected by how He loved those He was around...whoever He came in contact with. He didn't seek people out by categories.

In my head I concluded, "Ya, it's not like He came and tried to save the world." And then I laughed...because actually, He did.

But what I tend to think "saving the world" looks like, is changing the world as a whole. In large groups with conferences and megaphones and really good one-liners that are posted and re-posted on fb and cut to the heart so unbelievers see their need for a Saviour. In my mind, all of this is done quickly and effectively. But that is not what Jesus came to do.

He came to save us. And to individually and uniquely save us from our sin. That's the beautiful thing about testimony's: no two are ever alike.

As we discussed in Community Group Tuesday night- there is a temptation to think that we could be more successful in ministry if we had a title or status of some kind.

...but Jesus didn't. He was a carpenter's son. Who loved and served and taught and discipled those whom the Father gave Him.

So as I go about my week nannying, running business and having countless business meetings for insurance, marketing, hiring employees, etc., or as I grocery shop and do laundry at the laundromat, or take my class on Thursday nights, go to youth group, or ride the train...am I being sensitive to how God might use me to interact with people He puts in my path? I am convicted even as I write this.

Last week in class, David Powlison said, "Jesus was busy. But He was never rushed." We talked about how strong and prevalent distraction is in our culture today. I am constantly distracted. I am aware of a need to change. I need the Holy Spirit to work in and through me. To help me build relationships {real friendships} with unbelievers...for the purpose of sharing Hope and Life with them. Am I too busy with the "big vision" of getting groceries, or finishing laundry, or doing business...that I miss those "little visions" of how I can love, serve, and care for others in the mundane?

From what I can tell, all of Jesus' ministry was done in the mundane.

Lord, please. Help me better know who You are, that I might reflect You to those You put in my path. Help me fight distraction and be focused on You even in the mundane.

1 comment:

Virginia said...

I am so thankful that the mundane can be so filled with His presence...if not, I might never have come to know Jesus.