Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Walking on Waves

Matthew 14:28
"And Peter answered him, 'Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water.' He said, 'Come.' So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, 'Lord, save me.' Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, 'O you of little faith, why did you doubt?'"

When I look into the eyes of the One who saved my soul, my heart is at peace. When I wash in His Word and snuggle in His promises, I am still. At rest. No matter what's happening around me. I can walk over the waves. Be "on top" of the very thing that without Him, would drown me.

But the moment I begin to look at the wind or waves- the "storms" of life around me, I am anxious, and fearful, and desire control, and I begin to sink.

Yet even when I am unfaithful, even when I live in unbelief, even when I neglect to think of Him and others and focus on myself...still, God is faithful. Still, His promises remain. He promises to help me. To provide for me. To sustain me. To draw me to Himself. To force even the wind and the waves to do good unto me.

Immediately He reaches out His hand and takes hold of me again and gently asks me why I doubt Him. He helps me. Lifts me up. Reminds me that my sin is no longer counted against me. And His love for me is steadfast.

Oh, I am so undeserving. Ill-deserving in fact. "But this is my salvation. And herein I stand. Thank you, Jesus." (-Gospel Primer)

No comments: