Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Gospel Primer

So, the Gospel Primer is ruining my mind and my life in the most wonderfully glorious way.

Listen to this:
"The gospel encourages me to rest in my righteous standing with God, a standing which Christ Himself has accomplished and always maintains for me. I never have to do a moment's labor to gain or maintain my justified status before God! Freed from the burden of such a task, I now can put my energies into enjoying God, pursuing holiness, and ministering God's amazing grace to others.

The gospel also reminds me that my righteous standing with God always holds firm regardless of my performance, because my standing is based solely on the work of Jesus and not mine. On my worst days of sin and failure, the gospel encourages me with God's unrelenting grace toward me. On my best days of victory and usefulness, the gospel keeps me relating to God solely on the basis of Jesus' righteousness, and not mine."
Page 20 (emphasis mine)

As I begin to learn that spending time with the LORD in the morning is not the SAME as preaching the gospel to myself everyday, I am finding so much JOY in not only preaching the gospel to myself once in the morning, but OVER and OVER again...and then reflecting back on its truth and implications throughout each day. Oh I love that I cannot exhaust this topic! I cannot study it too much. It will never get old- in fact, it seems to get BETTER and BETTER each time I rehearse it. There is more joy in each opportunity to preach it to myself.

I covet your prayers to let the gospel rule the thoughts in my mind. About myself and about others. That I would demonstrate in action what it means to breathe grace in any and all situations. I am so desperate for God's help- and He is so faithful to meet me, protect me, and care for me. To remind me that Jesus' blood never fails me.

I'm exhausted. I can't wait to take a nap. We have off tomorrow which I am ELATED about. Cleaning, grocery shopping, making dinner for tomorrow, and organizing was all done yesterday, so REST, reading, and maybe a walk or run with my ipod and Savior will be on the agenda for tomorrow.

(Meghann, I am CONTINUING to reap the benefits of how you've trained me in meal planning, shopping, cooking, and preparing meals ahead. I think of you EVERYDAY when I put my apron on! Thank you so much for the investments you've made in me. =)

(Kristen, I wish you were here to tell me when to relax =). I think my intensity is overwhelming some people. I got to talk to McKenzie on Skype and OH MY that girl brings so much joy to my heart. I looked at pictures of your girls on my computer last night. Send them my love.)

(Mommy, I really miss our daily conversations. A lot. How's your time been in NJ? When we get internet at home, can we have set days and times to talk? I miss you!)

No comments: