Thursday, October 2, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VANESSA!

 

Dearest Vanessa,
So, this picture pretty much encompasses an accurate description of our relationship, does it not? Ah, I don't even know where to begin.

Proverbs 17:17 says, "A friend loves at all times and a brother is born for adversity."

You, my sister, have been a faithful friend. Loving me in my un-lovableness, and caring for me in seasons of adversity. I will never forget taking a jump head first into one of my seasons of life with high hopes and expectations- to only have them squashed entirely. And there you were. Writing me cards REGULARLY- sending them in the mail (to WHEREVER I lived!). Sometimes they were serious and full of memories or Scripture, and other times they were HYSTERICAL- either completely random or drenched with inside jokes and they left me laughing uncontrollably on the ground next to where I'd picked up the mail. No matter what was in them, I always felt loved. I would get phone calls and text messages with just the thing to put a smile on my face or warm my heart.

I have shared some of my favorite memories with you. Brethren woods, parties in our family room, sleepovers 4 nights in a row with sprinklers at my house (do you remember that?!), Proms, Bristles, CCC Youth Group with the Harris', GBS with Kelly, oh my gosh I can't go on or I won't stop and I have other things I want to say!

You're more than just a friend to me. You're practically part of our family. Didn't you have Thanksgiving with us last year?! I can't count HOW many years in a row you've been over for gingerbread houses after T-day dinner. You're the friend who cried with me when we sold our house. Who drives by it just to look at it even though no one in my family lives in Charlottesville anymore. Ah, this is making me miss you so much. All I can think about right now is Starbucks Caramel Macchiatos and Jessica Simpson's Christmas Album blaring as we drive down 29 in the snow! Man, getting ready for Christmas with you is so fun! I'm going to miss that this year...

I have so appreciated how you've adjusted to my crazy life moving all about, and how you've let our friendship adjust accordingly. We've not always gotten it right on the first go 'round, but you are faithful to ask for forgiveness, and always quick to forgive, and for that, I am so grateful.

I am praying that this year of your life is MARKED with joy. Joy in your salvation. Joy in diving deeper into the truth that you are a daughter of the King. Joy in whatever the LORD has for you and wherever. Joy based on the character of God- unwavering, unchanging, constant, steadfast.

You, sweet friend, are a JOY TO ME, and I love you so much. I am absolutely dying to have a Skype date with you.

I hope you have the HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY EVER!

LOVE LOVE LOVE! =)
J.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

J, basically i ditto all that for you! but thank you so much for taking the time to write out those seriously encouraging words. Know that i love you too, A LOT! and i miss you more than you know. Lets aim for a skype date asap:)
love always and FOR-EVERRRR!!!
xoxo