Thursday, August 21, 2008

WHAT!? That's not a sport!!!

Ok, so who else has been surprised by sports that are in the Olympics? Ping pong has always surprised me. But just now, literally moments ago- I witnessed the most awkward looking, hilarious "sport" I've ever seen or heard of:

Competitive walking.

That's right, walking. Not sprinting, not jogging. There are actual RULES.
"Race walking is a progression of steps so taken that the walker makes contact with the ground so that no visible (to the human eye) loss of contact occurs. The advancing leg must be straightened (i.e., not bent at the knee) from the moment of first contact with the ground until in the vertical upright position. One would think by now this definition would be concrete, but in practice, it is fairly subjective."

It looks like waddling from side to side with arms pumping excessively fast. Their legs look like the curve at the sides-- its so strange!

Is anyone else totally thrown by this??? Have you seen it???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh JJ. You must have been such a sheltered child. JK. Actually race walking has been around a while, and if you go to local races and stuff, there are always race walkers going for it. They have race walker groups and meets. And they are very fast. Like they pass good runners sometimes.

Marvin033 said...

I cannot say I've seen competetive walking..indeed I would probably stand in disbelief myself. But I found out that BMX biking was also in the olympics. Which isn't too strange..but I guess the olympics due include "ALL SPORTS"..so my question is.."What's next?" Perhaps ballroom dancing?

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

crazy. i would not be caught dead waddling. ;o)

hey, so what's the address of where you'll be living IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!!! (can you picture the way I said that? ;o)

love and miss you already!

Anonymous said...

hHhahaha!
I looked it up on youtube and it looks like someone who has go to the bathroom really really bad but is trying not to make a seen by dashing through the store.
haa